Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona, Arizona

This last weekend, I drove up to Oak Creek Canyon just outside of Sedona, Arizona. I had been staying with Cara and my two grandsons for a week, and decided to go camping for the weekend. I had no camping gear, just my clothes and a few blankets Cara loaned me so I could sleep in my car. It really doesn't take much to make me happy.
My campsite was nice, overlooking the creek. I was able to gather enough wood for a fire and found a lighter in my glove box to set it aflame. I had brought some old tablecloths to use as packing material for some of Cara's things,  and was quite happy to use one of the cloths to cover my table. I had no plates, stove or cups. Just 2 gallons of water I bought at the market.
The creek is so sweet, and runs through Oak Creek Canyon for 13 miles from Flagstaff to Sedona, and then on into the Verde Valley. In the morning it is especially beautiful. This shot was taken very early one morning after I checked the temperature gauge in my car.....35 degrees outside! Thank you Cara for loaning me the blankets!
In the morning, the light illuminates the tips of the mountains and then slowly floods the canyon.
On Monday  I drove down to Sedona, thankful that the majority of tourists had gone home. Sedona has beautiful red rock cliffs, very similar to Zion National Park.  

On the way down to Sedona, I was so cold and so hungry, that I took a chance on Indian Gardens, Oak Creek restaurant and market. It was fabulous! Strong hot coffee, freshly baked blueberry muffins and scrambled eggs, all for under $10.00. An outside garden area is set up with tables and chairs, with Mexican blankets on each chair in case you get cold. The people were all really nice to me there. Thank you!
Sedona is a bit of a strange town. Yes its very pretty, rich, red rock and all, but it is definitely a little on the weird side and abounds with vortex finding, aura pictures, spiritual transcendence, psychic readings and new age crap galore. I tried to stay away from all that freaky stuff and actually found some fun places to explore.
This funky old antique, pottery, and what not store was one of those fun places.
And my favorite was a hike down by the Midgley Bridge. A lady was kind enough to take my picture on the trail.
This picture is taken from the bridge looking down over the wide expanse of Oak Creek Canyon. If you look carefully, you can see a blue ribbon of water snaking its way through the canyon.
About half way down to the water, I turned around and took this picture of the Midgley Bridge with the red rocks in the background.
Oak Creek is so beautiful, especially when it is reflecting the light,  mountains and trees.
A glimmer of light, a moment of serenity. Hope for the future. Peace for the present.
Love to you. Susan Little

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.