Monday, October 26, 2015

Final posting of Zion National Park, Utah

 
Here I am in the northwestern section of Zion National Park, called Kolob Canyons. Its awesome there, much quieter and just as beautiful. Throughout Zion, the roads are coated with oil and rock chips, made up of local red cinders, which give the roads that rusty red color.
I took the Taylor Creek hike, a 5 mile roundtrip hike along this beautiful creek, up to the Double Arch Alcove. Along the way you have to cross the creek dozens of times in order to reach the alcove. On my way back, I got off trail and ended up walking in the creek, slipping on the rocks, and feeling sorry for myself. Finally an older couple heard my calls and came to my rescue.
Double Arch Alcove is huge, and is filled with hanging gardens that bloom in the spring and summer months. Even though not much was blooming in the alcove, many flowers were still blooming along the trails.
 
One evening, I was standing in my campsite when I looked up and saw the light touching the white Navaho sandstone just right. I quickly grabbed my camera and ran up the trail and caught the end of the brilliant light show.
I love to investigate the side canyons in the eastern end of the park. There is no official trail, so hardly anyone is ever there. I poke around, take pictures and look for animal tracks. Great fun!
Looking up into sapphire blue sky from one of the little side canyons.
This undulating curves in this canyon are so beautiful that it takes my breath away.
Several days before I was scheduled to return home, I was walking back from the visitor center when it started to rain. Then it started to thunder and hail. The hail was huge and pelted me in the forehead and neck. I took this picture from my shade shelter in the campsite.  I finally ran to my car, lay down in the back and just listened.
 As soon as the storm passed, I hopped in the drivers seat and took off to Canyon Junction. A beautiful rainbow lit up the sky, but was gone by the time I parked. This very long skinny waterfall is leftover from the rainwater rushing over the cliffs.
 I stood on the bridge and was shocked to see how red the water was, and how quickly the gentle river had changed into a raging monster.
I drove up to my favorite creek, and found a huge mass of water rushing over the cliff.
This is quite different from the day before, when the water was gentle enough to jump in, lay down and float.
Another violent outburst broke out during the night, with more rain, hail and thunder. The next day, I went back to the side canyons to see what had happened. In many places the trail had caved in, and the sand along the river banks had dropped into the creek.
Just the week before, my friends Janet and Jamie came with me to this little canyon. At the time it was dry and we were able to walk up the creek bed where we found mountain lion tracks. Scary. Second time I have seen mountain lion tracks in Zion. Even though the water had washed  away his footprints, the lion lives on.
 The sandstone ripples in layers, and looks so pretty when it is wet. More rain came down for the next few days, all the way up to the morning when I left.
 The artist in me loves the color, shape and form of leaves in the fall. So pretty.
 I explore this canyon every time I go to Zion, and have never seen water like this. It was amazing.
 The canyon leads to the backcountry, which goes on and on, way back into the mountains. I found potholes filled with water, lots of volcanic rocks, and endless patterns in the sandstone.
Goodbye to Zion, one of my most favorite places on Gods green earth.
Thank you Lord for the time we had together in that beautiful place.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.