Friday, April 10, 2015

Morro Bay, California

On my way home from Pinnacles National Park, I stopped to camp in Morro Bay at a beautiful, tree covered campground. Back in the late 70's, I used to live in Los Osos, which is only minutes from Morro Bay. From what I remember, it was nearly always cold and foggy there, so I was pleasantly surprised to arrive in Morro Bay on a clear, fairly warm day!
After I set up my gear, I drove down to the wharf and went exploring.
Elegant boats were sailing in and out of the harbor.
In the distance is Morro Rock, one of nine extinct volcano peaks  that stretch from Morro Bay to San Luis Obispo. Morro Rock State Preserve protects the Peregrine Falcons, and is also the nesting ground for Cormorants and Seagulls.
I never have known the name of these huge purple flowers, but they line the wharf and make a pretty picture of the bay, as well as a major attraction for butterflies.


 After ordering Fish and Chips, I sat on the wharf overlooking the bay and watched the birds. The pigeons were especially feisty, and spent most of their time copulating with one another. Quite shocking.
That would be me, having the time of my life, talking with everyone, eating, laughing, and watching the amazing wildlife around me.
Out in the bay, several seals were loafing on a dock, barking up a storm if any of the kayaks got to close. In the bay right next to the shore, three sea otters were swimming, cavorting, eating and playing with each other. The sea otters dive down and pick up anything from sea urchins, abalone, clams or mussels and bring them up to the surface. Then they float on their backs to eat and use their bellies as a table. I did not realize how big their feet were, or I guess I should say flippers, until they flashed those babies while they were eating. The otter in front has a real baby on her tummy, and so sweetly petted her every now and then.

All I wonder if which seagull got in the last squawk! Farewell to one and all. Another adventure ended, a new one soon to begin.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.