Friday, July 25, 2014

Sequoia National Park, California

 Several weeks ago, Janet and I went up to Sequoia National Park in California for a week of camping. It was totally fun and we saw some incredible things.
 Our first day in camp, this bold, juvenile bear decided he wanted to go fishing in the pools right below our campsite. A couple was down at the creek fishing when the bear came by. They ran like crazy up to our campsite and left all their fish and bait down on the rocks. That lady went ballistic, and started jumping up and down, screaming at the bear, and throwing sticks and rocks at the bear in order to keep him away from her fish. Eventually the bear left the area and she retrieved her fish. Later on that evening, the camp hosts told us never throw anything at a bear. Make a lot of noise, bang on the bear boxes, hit pots and pans, but don't throw anything! 
 Our campsite overlooked this wonderful creek, that had swimming holes, natural water slides and warm rocks to dry out on. I went swimming every day, and slowly, Janet joined in, laughing each time the cold water inched further up her body.
 I don't think I have ever seen a prettier spot than this place. I was so happy. Every time we got too hot, we walked down and dunked in one of the pools. So awesome.
 This is our friend, Louie with his sweet little puppy. He had this cool tent that rested on a cot, and he set it up down by the water. This picture is for you, Janet!
 One afternoon, we followed the creek upstream as far up as we could go. At the top, we found a huge swimming hole. That would be my friend Janet, who absolutely loves camping.
 That would be me, looking like a frog while swimming in the ice cold water. So refreshing!
 This tiny cluster of flowers was growing in the middle of a wild rose bush. The flowers are no more than a1/4 inch big. Such delicate beauty, only seen by a few.
 This is another friend of ours, David, who along with his mom, built this Tear Drop trailer from scratch. He used recycled wood he found at a job site, and vintage fixtures and dishes, to make this trailer a masterpiece. We noticed David's guitar leaning against the table, and with a little coaxing, he brought it out and played us some songs. Then me and Janet each took a turn, and then his mom started singing along with us. Great fun!
 One morning this sweet doe walked right up the hill into our campsite. I was sitting near the water and had my camera with me at the time. Lucky day!
 A huge fallen Sequoia tree in Crescent Meadow. To get an idea how big the tree is, look for Janet in her hat, standing at the base of the tree near its roots.
 We took a glorious hike around Crescent Meadow and I enjoyed every moment, even if it did tire me out. I am still recovering from 7 weeks of radiation therapy, and get very tired, but now, I am cancer free! Thank you Lord!
 On our walk around Crescent Meadow, we stopped to peek into this old cabin,  built inside of a fallen Sequoia tree. Tharp lived in this dark, rustic cabin for nearly 30 years, until Sequoia National Park was established in 1890.
 Immediately after leaving the cabin, we passed by this mother bear and two cubs, resting in the trees. It scared the daylights out of me, especially when families with little kids started crowding around. No one stepped off the trail, and the bears stayed under the trees. As soon as she opened her mouth,  I didn't need to be told twice and immediately left the scene.
 Looking up into the trees, and wondering what it would be like to live so long.
 On our hike out to the John Muir Grove of Sequoias, this baby snake popped its head out of a fallen tree trunk. I was pretty sure it was a rattler, and backed away. He never came out, so we passed by and I took this picture of him looking at me, while I was looking at him.
 I have always wanted to see the John Muir Grove of Sequoias, but somehow always ended up at the groves that were closer to the visitor center. On this trip, we took a hike out to the grove and couldn't believe how pretty it was. No fences telling us to keep out; just wide open forest like it must have been when Mr. Muir was alive. Well worth the hike.
 That is me, standing in the trunk of a living giant Sequoia Tree. Pretty amazing trees out there!
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
 I love flowers and found this one to be especially pretty.
My favorite swimming hole; happy memories, blissful thoughts.
 
One last look at lovely Sequoia National Park and a bee photobombing my picture!
May God be with you and bless you with peace, strength, rest and beauty. Susan Little 

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.