Monday, May 19, 2014

Tucumcari, New Mexico and Arizona

One of the reasons I love road trips is all the quirky places you see along the way. In New Mexico, I stopped at Tucumcari on old Route 66, and found some odd little stores, gas stations, motels and restaurants. The Blue Swallow motel guaranteed 100% refrigerated air!
I was actually disappointed Watsons wasn't open. It looked like it would have some great BBQ!
I never did find out if the gas pumps actually worked in this place.
 The Palomino was open for business, but I preferred sleeping in my car, which at times can be an experience in itself. On this trip I encountered a crazy women in a rest stop bathroom, a helicopter landing in the rest stop parking lot in the middle of the night, street sweepers nearly sweeping over my car at Walmart, a very forward trucker with an attitude, as well as some very nice people. In spite of it all, I do enjoy listening to the rain on the roof of my cargo box and looking out my tinted windows at the world around me!
I doubt this café gets much business.
This place seemed to be the classiest. Farewell to Tucumcari!
My last stop was in Prescott, AZ, to visit my friend Cynthia. We had a fabulous time shopping in town, eating out at Roses Italian Restaurant, attending a huge worship event in the Town Plaza, and endless cups of coffee and sharing our thoughts, prayers, fears, ideas and friendship.
I fell in love with Cynthia's little white dog, Harry. I tried to persuade her to let me take him home, but she wouldn't have any part of it......goodbye little Harry!
I have always loved the desert, and found this part of Arizona to be especially beautiful. 
 Wild flowers were beginning to bloom around the rocks and boulders.
This was by far the most exotic desert flower I have seen, and grew in great bushes along the highway.
 Clear skies showcase the spectacular views.
 The dark bushes had been burned, most likely in that huge fire last year where 19 Arizona firefighters were killed. Made me sad, especially since I knew my son Jon was fighting fires down in  the San Diego area that had been raging near my home.
Fragile white poppies with thorny stems and leaves hosted a variety of bugs in their yellow centers.
 Saguaro cactus had white flowers blossoming at the very tips of their limbs.
I don't want to see one more curios shop as long as I live.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.