Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Washington DC

Cherry blossoms blooming at Mt Vernon, the home of our first president, George Washington.  By the way, that is the name Eva gave the turkey that roams through her back yard!
No resemblance I am sure.
 
David and Eva walking the wall at Mt. Vernon,
 Eva, Lindsay, me and David, standing in front of  George Washington's estate.
We toured the home, the grounds, the slave quarters, and the gardens. I have a thing for arches and love the way they reveal the view of the Potomac River in the background.
  Over the years, the Washington estate fell into disrepair and was saved from ruin by the Mt. Vernon Ladies' Association. They purchased the property in 1858, and to this day, are still restoring the estate to its original grandeur.  
One of the reconstructed slave quarters on Mt. Vernon. As many as 8-10 people lived in these one room houses. When President Washington died, he freed his own personal slaves.
One of President Washington's horse drawn riding cars.
David and Lindsay gave me the grand tour of DC on their very own bicycles! We parked the car near the river and started riding.
That would be me riding the bike, and no I didn't fall!
 
Me, David, Eva and Lindsay down in Washington DC seeing the sights. What an exceptional trip. Made me so proud to be an American.
 The cherry trees in DC, a gorgeous sight when they are in full bloom like this one.
 David, Lindsay and Eva having fun in front of the Washington Monument; and no David didn't drop Eva or Lindsay!
 David and his friend, a guy who is a bit stiff, but David likes him anyways.
 The Native American Museum in DC had this tribute to The Day of the Dead, celebrated by people groups the world over.
Mr. T-Rex resides at the Natural History Museum where we saw some rough and wild stuff.
 A very sad reminder at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little." FDR
 Bald Eagles on the Potomac! I think this is the female, and I do believe they mate for life.
 I think this is the big, bad male......my kind of guy.
 The pair, casually sitting in the tree overlooking the Potomac river. So exciting to see them. One day I hope to actually see an eagle's nest. I hear they are pretty huge.
 The Jefferson Memorial. A very profound moment in time. Made me cry.
President Lincoln, the man who freed the slaves..... how awesome is that!
That would be me at the Lincoln Memorial standing in front of the Gettysburg Address; a speech given by President Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.
 At the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, a line taken from his speech, 'I have a Dream', is carved into the stone. "Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope."
That would be me, climbing up to the Petrified Wood display in front of the museums.
Wasn't quite sure if I would slip, but I didn't! Oh yeah.
I made it!
Quartz is one of my favorite rocks and here I am, standing in front of the hugest display of quartz I have ever seen!
David, Lindsay and Eva in front of the fountain at one of the Museums.
Me on the Potomac; the sidewalk is flooded just like it was at Congaree National Park.  
Built to honor George Washington, the United States' first president, the 555-foot marble obelisk towers over Washington, D.C. It is scheduled to be reopened in May of this year, after a 2011 earthquake damaged the monument.
The World War II Memorial; stunning, amazing, touching, beautiful. Definitely the best. Every state is represented, as well as all the countries that fought on our side.
Thank you to all our soldiers who have fought to keep our country and our people safe.
God bless you and keep you, each and every one of you.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.